Bloomsburg University Ice Hockey starts 2019-20 season 6-1

Get the scoop on BU Club Ice Hockey

Ed Murphy

Dylan Lowry (above) fighting off a La Salle defender as he makes his way to the crease.

Matt Rushforth, Sports Editor

The Bloomsburg University club Ice Hockey team is off to a 6-1 start thus far in the 2019 season. The Huskies currently compete in the Delaware Valley Collegiate Hockey Conference, playing universities all across Pennsylvania and neighboring states.
The Huskies blistered out of the gates to begin the 2019 season, winning their opening six games of their schedule. Last season, the Huskies only managed to win five of their games, finishing the 2018-19 calendar year with a 5-14 overall record.Statistically, Bloomsburg is led by Carson Porkka, who has registered five goals along with three assists for eight points in just three games played this season.
Darren Barder ranks second in scoring with four goals and three helpers on the year, good for seven points in his seven games played. Lucas Styles rounds out the top three, scoring for the Huskies as he has accounted for two goals and four assists to put him at six points on the year.
In goal, Bloomsburg is led by Steven Krolian, who has played nearly every minute between the pipes for the Huskies this season. Krolian boasts a 6-1 record with a save percentage of .438.
BU got the season rolling with a 5-2 win back on Sept. 12 over the University of Scranton. Ryan Winters scored twice for the Huskies, while Nick Quarnto added two assists in the win.
The Huskies then won back-to-back games on the weekend of Sept. 21 and 22, when they defeated rival Kutztown University and the New Jersey Institute of Technology (NJIT) in a two day span.
Seven different skaters scored in the win over Kutztown, while Matt Zientek recorded a goal and two assists in the win. Bloomsburg then used two goals from Porkka to defeat NJIT the following day.
BU then kept the momentum rolling the following (Sept. 28 & 29) weekend when it defeated Alvernia University and then the University of Lafayette the following day.
The Huskies then extended their winning streak to six games this past Saturday, Oct. 5, when they defeated La Salle University by a score of 4-1.
The win streak was then snapped on Sunday when BU fell to Penn State University at Harrisburg by a final score of 3-0. The loss dropped the Huskies’ record to 6-1 overall in the opening seven games of play this season.
Although Ice Hockey is considered only a club sport at Bloomsburg, the athletes on the team are on a consistent grind just getting to the location of games and practices. As the upper campus of BU does not contain a regulation Ice Arena, the athletes are forced to travel to locations including Wilkes-Barre, Philadelphia and Harrisburg.
A majority of Bloomsburg’s games this season have taken place at the Toyota SportsPlex in Wilkes Barre, which is an estimated travel time of 45 minutes to one hour one way.
BU is set to play another 16 games this season not including the playoffs, which the Huskies managed to win at the end of the 2016-17 season.

For more on the schedule, statistics and other information on the BU club ice hockey team, please visit mens.dvchhockey.org.