What’s our name?

Commonwealth University rebranding spotted all over campus
Rebecca Sokolowski
New Commonwealth University signs around campus.

As of the start of the Fall 2023 semester, old and damaged signs around campus have been replaced with new “Commonwealth University-Bloomsburg” branded signs, costing approximately $20,000. However, there are still a slew of “Bloomsburg University” branded signs and markers around campus as well. These new signs are among several changes that have brought back the question, “Are we still Bloomsburg University?” There is also a growing concern about what name will be on the diplomas of 2024 graduating seniors, the university to which they applied, or the integrated Commonwealth University. 

Legally, there is no “Bloomsburg University,” according to Commonwealth University Executive Communications and Editorial Director Elizabeth Arnold. “When referring to an individual location of Commonwealth University, use Commonwealth University-Bloomsburg or the short form CU-Bloomsburg, or Bloomsburg.” Signs will only be changed to say “Commonwealth University-Bloomsburg” when the original sign is in need of repair or total replacement, as maintenance budgets allow. 

Rumors have swirled about all aspects of the integration, but the name that will be on the top of diplomas has been a hot topic amongst students. As of 2022 the name “Bloomsburg University” was still featured at the top of diplomas, along with the Commonwealth University seal. Some students have speculated that the option to have “Bloomsburg University” versus Commonwealth University-Bloomsburg will be given to graduates, but this will not be the case. Moving forward, Arnold reassures that the campus name will be prominent at the top of diplomas, with “Commonwealth University” in smaller print below. 

The recent Homecoming football game against fellow Commonwealth University campus, Lock Haven, had many thinking about the future names of Commonwealth sports teams. “Each athletic department will retain its separate and distinct brand and identity as Huskies, Bald Eagles, and Mountaineers”, reassures Arnold. Bloomsburg teams will continue to play as Huskies, and it seems that as of right now, there will be no CU vs. CU games in our future. 

Within the next few years, traces of the former “Bloomsburg University” will inevitably fade around campus, but the Bloomsburg Huskies will still always have a place within Commonwealth University.