Basketball postponed: Men’s and Women’s Basketball set to battle East Stroudsburg

Due to the snow that  hit Pennsylvania on Wednesday afternoon, the Bloomsburg University men’s and women’s basketball teams doubleheader  against Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) rival East Stroudsburg University was rescheduled to Thursday, Feb.  21 at 6:00 and 8:00 p.m.

Women’s Basketball

The contest remains important for the womens team as they hold a share for first place in the PSAC Eastern division with Kutztown University. The Huskies look to win out in their final three regular season contests to overtake the top spot from the Golden Bears of Kutztown.

This past Saturday, the Huskies dropped a 63-58 nail biter to conference foe Millersville University. The loss dropped the Huskies sole posession of first place who are now tied with Kutztown.

In the loss, just two Bloomsburg players made into double figures, as senior guard Alyssa Mack registered 15 points while sophomore forward Megan Brandt recorded 10 points for the Huskies.

The Huskies shot just 35 percent from the field against Kutztown which marked the second lowest shooting percentage from the field for Bloomsburg all season.

The Bloomsburg defense was dominated by Millersville leading scorer Lauren Lister, who played all 40 minutes for the Mauraders and dropped a game-high 29 points in the game.

Emma Saxton, who was the Huskies leading scorer entering the contest, was held to just six points from the floor which broke her mark of 16 consecutive games with at least 10 points.

The loss dropped the Huskies record to 17-8 (12-5 PSAC) while Millersville improved to 11-13 (8-9 PSAC) overall along with winning five of their last six games.

Bloomsburg won its last matchup with ESU  by a close 54-49 margin, where the Huskies entered the fourth quarter leading 46-21.

Men’s Basketball

As for the men’s basketball team, the Huskies have been eliminated from postseason play in the PSAC tournament as a Saturday loss to Millersville dropped their overall record to 6-17 (2-15 PSAC).

The Huskies did see freshman forward Travis Elmore contribute 23 points in the loss as he was later named PSAC East Freshman of the Week for the third time this season.

Freshman Sekou Fofana also continued his strong freshman season as he registered 15 points of his own in the loss to Millersville.

The men’s team looks to finish their rebuilding year with three strong games against PSAC opponents to wrap up the 2018-19 season.
After the doubleheader against East Stroudsburg, the Huskies return home for their final two regular season matchups next week with dates against Mansfield on Wednesday night  and Shippensburg on Saturday afternoon at Nelson Field House.