Women’s Lacrosse picked to finish seventh in PSACs

The 2019 season for the Bloomsburg women’s lacrosse team looks promising as they were voted to place seventh in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) league’s 2019 coaches’ poll this past Wednesday.

The PSAC preseason coaches poll had West Chester with the most votes for taking first place. East Stroudsburg took second and Mercyhurst in third. Slippery Rock, Lock Haven, and Indiana University of Pennsylvania all placed before Bloomsburg.

The Huskies had minor success in their last season, finishing out 2018 with a record of 10-8 overall and making it into the PSAC tournament. With a conference record of 6-6, head coach Shannon Hertz has led the Huskies to the postseason twice in her career. Last season marked the first Bloomsburg playoff appearance since their 2015 season.

The 2019 season will look to the All-PSAC powerhouse trio from last season of sophomore Tiffany Diachynsky, junior Angela DiPasquale, and senior Abby Nocito to lead the Huskies to glory. Nocito was a major weapon for the defense, causing 36 turnovers and second for ground balls with 49.

Playing in all 18 games, she helped make Bloomsburg the defense threat it is. The Huskies ranked number one in the conference for caused turnovers, boasting 283 as a team.

The second team All-PSAC earning iron curtain of Dipasquale started in all 18 games as goalie for the Huskies. She boasted a 12.79 goals against average and .430 save percentage last season. Her 176 saves ranked her third in the conference and 9.78 saves per game ranked her fifth.

Freshman Diachynsky played in all 18 games as well, with 40 caused turnovers she was ranked fourth in the PSAC. She put up 41 ground balls making her third best on the team and contributed to Bloomsburg being one of the two teams who grabbed at least 500 ground balls last season.

Senior Jordynn Kurcoba and junior Delaney Schappert look to beef up the Huskies defense alongside them. Schappert ranked fourth on the team with 38 ground balls and her 28 caused turnovers ranked her third on the team.

For the offensive side, Bloomsburg hopes to utilize several veterans for scoring weapons. Senior Hannah Jaskuta looks to build off her last season where she was third on the team for points with 53. She had 11 assists and scored 28 goals where she ranked fourth. Junior Cailyn Gromley was a major help last season, putting up seven assists and tallied 31 goals. Offensive weapon Grace Kelleher, who is a redshirt sophomore, looks to return after a successful season leading the team in total points with 53, 23 assists, and second in goals scored with 30.

The 2019 season starts for the Huskies on Tuesday, Feb. 26 against Georgian Court University at home. A scrimmage has been scheduled for this Saturday, Feb. 16 with Lycoming College at 11:00 a.m. at Steph Pettit Stadium.