Invitational goes swimmingly for Huskies: Huskies defeat IUP and Clarion

The Bloomsburg University men’s swimming team dominated at the John A. Pidgeon Memorial Invitational, with a winner in every event and putting up a total of 36 Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) marks, beating out the competition of the host Indiana University of Pennsylvania and Clarion.

The victory streak began with a win in the 400-yard medley relay, when the team of redshirt junior Kyle Dix, freshman Colton Schnars, freshman Jace Fry and redshirt sophomore Matt Rocchi won the event with a time of 3:31.59. Senior Philip Nawn had the Huskies’ first individual win when his time of 2:00.63 put him in first place for the 200-yard individual medley. Freshman Cameron Junk then won the first place in the 500-yard freestyle in 4:52.02 minutes and another victory was earned by Schnars with a win in the 100-yard backstroke after putting up a time of 51.68.

Freshman Pat Agnew would then join in on the action and won the 100-yard breastroke in 1:00.87 minutes. The 200-yard butterfly would then be taken by Fry as his time of 1:59.84 gave him the victory. Dix would win again as his 50-yard freestyle has been almost untouchable this season. He finished in 21.30 seconds.

Relay success continued as both the 400-yard freestyle and the 200-yard freestyle would be taken by the Huskies. The team of junior Colin Bauer, sophomore Colin Hummel, junior Jordan Wyant and Dix touched the wall first in 3:14.42. Bauer, Dix, Hummel and Schnars won again with a time of 1:27.20.

The annihilation continued as Nawn took the 400-yard individual medley relay in 4:18.68 minutes. Dix put up a time of 51.01 to win the 100-yard butterfly, while Wyant would follow with another victory, taking the 200-yard freestyle 1:47.07. Schnars captured another win as he put up a time of 1:57.07 to take the 200-yard backstroke.

Freshman Matt Marvin had the first win of his collegiate career when he won the 200-yard breastroke, after touching the wall first with a time 2:15.35. Dix had yet another victory in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 47.95.

The team of senior Matthew Schulz, Rocchi, Schnars, and Wyant finished off the meet with a final victory in the 200-yard medley relay after throwing up a time of 1:37.17. Bloomsburg finished first with 1282 points, beating out second-place IUP with 757 points and  Clarion at 480 points.
The Huskies will travel to York, Pennsylvania for the PSAC Championship starting on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at Graham Aquatic Center.