Softball heads to West Virginia for season opener

The Bloomsburg University women’s softball team kicks off the 2019 season against with four games against both Mercyhurst University and the University of Charleston in Charleston, West Virginia this weekend. The Huskies finished last season with a 20-22 overall record and fell to Seton Hill University in the Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) championships.

The Huskies enter the season with lots of experience on this year’s roster. Outfielder Kalynn Wheeland, shortstop Taylor Winkelman, third basemen Marissa Shelhamer, catcher Ashli Venokur, and first basemen Alexa Erney and Emily Getz highlight the top players to watch this season for Bloomsburg.
Bloomsburg returns three All-PSAC Central division players this season in Wheeland, Winkelman and sophomore Tara Baney.

Wheeland is coming off a monstrous season as she was named to the division II All-American second team following last season. The outfielder posted an impressive .414 batting average last season along with 46 runs batted in (RBIs) and a .724 slugging percentage in 2018.

Winkelman returns to the Huskies lineup after starting every single game last season at shortstop for Bloomsburg. Winkelman posted a .324 batting average along with 12 doubles for Bloomsburg just last season.

Baney returns this season after recording an 8-6 record on the mound for Bloomsburg last year along with a team low 2.79 ERA. Baney was also present at the plate as she posted four doubles and three home-runs for her team in 2018.

Baney is joined by fellow sophomore Abby Wild in the pitchers circle this season as the two-freshman combined for a total of 11 of the teams 20 wins last season on the rubber.

The Huskies were picked to finish second in the PSAC-Central behind Lock Haven University in 2019.