Confer Radio Talent Institute seeks participants

Confer+Radio+Talent+Institute+2023+participants+stand+with+Kerby+Confer.+
Jeff Schmidt
Confer Radio Talent Institute 2023 participants stand with Kerby Confer.

Opportunities for new and rising media jobs are created by Commonwealth University in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania through the Confer Radio Talent Institute™. It serves as a breeding ground for well-rounded college students and recent graduates who are driven to succeed in the media industry and have a strong enthusiasm for it.

The institute is seeking more participants this year for the Monday, May 20 until Saturday, May 25 event.

Bob Lawrence of the National Radio Talent System says, “Radio is not your dad’s radio… It has expanded to other platforms.” He hopes that students interested in participating will see the worth in networking with important people of the industry in all realms of media, and especially radio.

Only accepting twenty five applicants, the Confer Radio Talent Institute takes place on the Bloomsburg campus, sponsored by generous donors Kerby and Judy Confer.

According to the NRTS website, “70% of students who attend the Confer Radio Talent Institute get their first job in broadcasting after graduation.”

A group visit to WMMR studios in Philadelphia.

The Confers funded a $5 million donation towards the upcoming Confer Media Center installment in the renovation of McCormick Center for Humanities & Services on the quadrangle. Kerby Confer, creator of the “Froggy” brand for his country music stations, has been a successful leader of the radio industry for years.

The National Radio Talent System™ (NRTS) consists of many talent institutes at colleges and universities around the US. Each institute invites industry executives from throughout the country as guest speakers, bringing their real-world experience to a rigorous 6-day summer program.

The National Radio Talent System hosts more than 30 radio specialists to the Confer Radio Talent Institute to teach interactive sessions. Throughout the week, participants will meet, mingle, and network with them.

It is only a $395 registraition fee and housing can be provided for those who need a “relatively in-expensive ” place to stay, according to Lawrence.

The live broadcast from the Institute.

To help prospective professionals succeed in the radio industry, the National Radio Talent Institute provides an in-depth experience. The generation of digital content, efficient marketing strategies, and live broadcasting techniques are among the fundamental skills taught to participants.

The institute provides learners with the necessary skills to land a job and succeed in a variety of professions, from music programming and sales to talk radio hosting, with an emphasis on hands-on training and industry knowledge.