Board of Govenors Scholarship discontinued starting Fall ‘24 semester

Here’s what you need to know

Starting in the fall semester of 2024, the Board of Governors scholarship will no longer be offered to new students at Commonwealth University Bloomsburg. BOG scholarship covers full tuition for its recipients from the PA State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) Board of Governors, who have authority over setting tuition rates for State System schools.

“The goal is for Commonwealth [University] to increase the number of merit based scholarships,” states Director of the Office of Access and Success, Ralph Godbolt.

Although a report obtained through a Right-To-Know Law request from Director of Operations & Agency Open Records Officer at Commonwealth University, Mary Vezendy, states that “due to the Supreme Court ruling on affirmative action, we will discontinue offering full-tuition BOG scholarships (waivers).”

In the aforementioned report, 74 students are said to have been recipients of a BOG scholarship, amounting to a total of $570,984 granted. While the “merit aid the students would have qualified for” totals $318,500, which would save the University $252,484.

Students currently receiving a BOG scholarship will not be affected by the new change, but incoming classes will not be able to receive this aid. The Voice will continue to follow this story as new information emerges.