Restricted knowledge in provost search

Nyla Ringgold-Floyd
Jayna Baldensperger, Sophomore Nursing Major.

UPDATED ON WEDNESDAY, 4/17.*

Since the start of the year, Commonwealth University has been actively seeking a new provost to fill the position as the current holder, Diana Rogers-Adkinson, prepares to leave in July 2024. What specific qualities are being sought in this critical leadership position? And, after months of looking, have any applicants emerged as contenders for the administrative position?

In search of information throughout this week, Dr. Diana Rogers-Adkinson, directed us to the search team via email on Monday, April 4, due to her busy schedule this week. “Thank you for reaching out; however it would be best to reach out to the search committee for any questions”, said the provost. 

The next step was to contact the entire search committee for more information on the next steps with the future candidate. A member directed to Dr. Amy Way who is the public contact for the search team. Both Dr. Way and Dr. Rogers- Adkinson directed to the provost search webpage with the timeline and search team contact information. 

Confidentiality

Over email, she shared that the search process is currently underway, and they are in the active recruitment period of their established search timeline. “Thanks to our partners in the search process, WittKeifer, we are optimistic about the anticipated strength of the candidate pool”, said Dr. Way. 

“As with any search and hiring activity, confidentiality serves as an important component in maintaining the quality and integrity of the process”, said Dr. Way via email on 4/11.

She reassured that the search team will continue to follow the timeline set forward, which includes opportunities for our campus community to engage with candidates. 

The conversation finished with her sharing, “At this stage in the search the committee doesn’t have anything to share. Candidate recruitment is ongoing, and the work of the committee will begin after that. We do look forward to having the university community engage with the candidates once we are at that step in the process.” 

Student Impact

While the search process continues, it is vital to gauge not only how much this impacts the student body, but also if they are aware of it. With this in mind, students were asked if they knew what the role of the Provost entails. 

“I’m not sure, I think it has something to do with administration.”

— Jayna Baldensperger, Sophomore Nursing Major

“No, I’ve never heard of that.” – Joseph Abdelnaby, Junior International Business Major

“No, am I supposed to know?” – Landon Lorson, Sophomore Marketing and Professional Sales Major

These statements are a small example of the alleged lack of knowledge on this role throughout the student body. Perhaps having the university community engage with the candidates will be an opportunity for students to learn more about the role of Provost. As the search committee focuses on candidate recruitment at this time, the next steps are to look for change in student awareness in the future.