Field Hockey snaps two-game losing streak with conference win over Mansfield:

The Bloomsburg University Field Hockey team got themselves back on track in Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) play with a 2-1 victory over Mansfield University this past Tuesday at Steph Pettit Stadium. The Huskies win snapped a two-game losing streak and improved their record to 8-5 (2-4 PSAC) overall record in 2018.

The Huskies used two early goals from senior midfielder Tali Wehner and freshman forward Arden Morgans and held off a late Mountaineers comeback to seal the victory and break their two-game losing streak.

Wehners early tally off a penalty corner from senior Erica Krebs just 2:56 into the game gave the Huskies an early 1-0 lead. The goal was Wehners second of the season.

Nearly ten minutes later, Wehner fired a slapshot which was re-directed in front of the goal by Morgans gave the freshman forward her second goal of the season and a Bloomsburg 2-0 lead just above 13 minutes into the contest.

Bloomsburg then almost made it 3-0 when senior Jackie Shragher smacked the post with a shot which lead to Krebs with a rebound shot just wide of the goal, leaving the score at 2-0 in favor of Bloomsburg heading into the half.

Bloomsburg came into the second half of play leading in shots by an 8-7 number. Mansfield found their rhythm when Christie Buyer got under the ball and put it top shelf over Bloomsburg goalkeeper Dana Sheply netted her sixth goal of the season.

Mansfield continued to keep the pressure on the Huskies and saw Gabby Hieber rip another past Sheply with eight minutes left in regulation time. But after a lengthy discussion from the officials, the goal was disallowed which had the Mansfield team and fans questioning it throughout the rest of the game. The disallowing of the goal left the Huskies with a 2-1 lead with eight minutes remaining.

The Mountaineers held a 6-3 shot advantage to that point but failed to generate any other opportunities in the closing minutes, giving the Huskies a 2-1 victory.

Sheply improved to 4-4 on the year and stopped eight Mountaineer shots in the win.

The Huskies hit the road on Saturday, October 27, when they travel to Mercyhurst University to battle the 4-10 Lakers. Start time is set for 11:30 a.m. at Tulio Field on the campus of Mercyhurst.

Bloomsburg then resumes PSAC play when they welcome Millersville University to Steph Pettit Stadium on Octber 31.

Bloomsburg is now ranked tenth in the country from the latest Penn/Monto/National Field Hockey Coaches Association (NFHCA) polls.

The Huskies are currently eighth in the PSAC standings. Bloomsburg has work to do if they are hoping to make the annual PSAC tournament at the end of the regular season. The top six teams in the conference make the tournament.