View From The Voice: Trump’s tax bill hits Americans where it hurts

As more discussions pop up about the tax bill that the Trump administration is trying to get through, the more outrage that seems to erupt from the American people. What Trump calls the biggest tax cut in American history is a very true statement, but the question is: A tax cut for who?

Overall what it looks like is that the largest piece of the tax cut pie is going to the top one percent (those who are making over $900,000) with some crumbs left over for the middle and lower class. We hear time and time again that “rich people create jobs” as an argument, but this is not true at all. Demand for products and services create jobs, and if we are giving a huge tax increase to only one percent of the population, this won’t change much accept make a few people richer.

The average tax break that the American would receive who is making between 50,000 and 90,000 a year would be about $600(CNN). For college students, that would only just about pay for college books… hopefully.

Not only that, the new tax plan would also really hit teachers. Teachers are able to get tax deductions for other materials that they provide for their students for a greater learning experience. Most teachers actually spend around $250. Apparently to the House of Representatives, teacher’s classroom expense deductions were the ones that they thought weren’t worthy of keeping around. Many parents have trouble paying for school supplies for their kids, so these tax deductions for teachers are very important in low income areas. In the end this tax cut not only hurts teachers, but their students as well (BDG Media, inc).

We at The Voice believe this proposed tax bill will cause more harm to more people than Trump says it will.

It doesn’t stop there. The new tax bill that is trying to be pushed out will also hurt students that need to go to graduate school. Graduate school, as we all know, is painfully expensive, but many people nowadays need to go to graduate school in order to advance in their career. The government would put stipends for graduate students under taxable income. Many students are already making plans, in the worst case where this bill would be passed, to drop out of their PhD programs (time.com).

Even though having a more educated population in America would create more revenue for the U.S., the administration as well as the House seem to be very anti-education through this tax bill. This would discourage people from going into higher paying careers because people are afraid of taking on even more copious amounts of debt in order to learn. A recent article from TIME interviewed a man named Evan Johnson, who is currently in a Ph.D. program studying physics, “If this happened five years ago, then I probably never would have gone to grad school because I would be hopelessly priced out”. Overall the tax bill would estimate to over $65 billion in increases for graduate students by 2027 (time.com).

At this point we can only hope that the Senate doesn’t push this through, because many people are afraid that the consequences of this tax bill could be irreversible. The only thing this tax bill would do is increase income inequality in the long run.

~The Voice