Let’s get real, real quick

In our college environment, it is inevitable that issues involving gender, sexuality and sex will arise. How we respond to these issues, however, is not always as clear. Luckily for students at BU who have ever felt confused or curious about these topics, there is an opportunity that provides answers.
Real Talk is a program conveniently offered at the Women’s Resource Center on BU’s campus, located on the 1st floor of Schuylkill Hall. The program takes place every other Tuesday, beginning at 4 p.m., and involves small, intimate groups of 10-15 people per session. This program is all-inclusive and open to all BU students of all gender identities and sexual orientations.

Real Talk is run by Albra Wheeler, the Women’s Resource Center Coordinator, and Laura Wolfe, a BU Health Center Nurse Practitioner.  “Real Talk is a program where we ‘Get Real, Real Quick’ in our discussions,” Albra explains. “We answer any and all questions students may have regarding socio-cultural and/or biological issues.”     

The goal of Real Talk is to provide answers and education for students who may have never received any prior proper sexual education in their previous schooling. Albra reveals, “Our students are entering college with little to no information on issues related to sex and their bodies… Only twenty-four states mandate that sex education be provided.” Pennsylvania happens to be one of the states that does not mandate this form of education.

Therefore, Real Talk allows for students to answer questions, either openly or anonymously, that have been on their minds, whether they be about sexuality, gender issues or body concerns. The program provides a safe, non-judgmental place for students to ask their questions and receive honest, accurate and helpful answers. The program is a safer and more accurate resource than simply using Google and allows students to connect and discuss these issues with professionals without being shamed. Real Talk offers a safe space to explore one’s sexuality and body without feeling embarrassed or ashamed, especially for women.

If you’re interested in attending a Real Talk session, feel free to look up events and find more information on their Facebook page, “BU WRC.” To find more information about sex education, check out www.guttmacher.org/state-policy/explore/sex-and-hiv-education.