“OUTober” brings students together for National Coming Out Day

In celebration of National Coming out day on October 11th , the LGBTQA resource center and  BU Equality Alliance organized a month of events dedicated to educate students in Bloomsburg University on topics related to gender, sexualty, rape culture and more.

“This is important to have because most members of the LGBTQA+ community are struggling or have struggled in the past to come out,” said Gina M. Rodriguez, President of BU Equality Alliance and Representative for the LGBTQA Resource Center.

“These events and discussions we have give them a platform to stand on and to help them through their life-long journey of coming out. It also can serve as a support system for those who may not be just quite ready yet to come out, or may not have the ability or means to,” said Rodriguez.
The celebrations kicked off with BU’s first Pride Fest where there was music and food to get the the week started. “I’m Coming Out” Open Mic Night occurred in Fog and Flame on Thursday where students were able to showcase their voices and talent on stage. Tuesday’s event “Sex Signals!” was located in the Kehr Union Ballroom where guest speakers/actors Ann and George educated students on rape culture and sexual relations in modern day society. Malik Muhammad, Coordinator of Sexual and Gender Diversity introduced the guest speakers.

“Welcome to Sex signals,” said Muhammad “Today we have the Women’s Resource Center from campus, the Women’s Center from town, the LGBTQA+ community ,the Department of Greek Affairs and the of Department of Equity and Accommodations in the room for this evening’s event.” Muhammad warned the audience that the speakers may use some strong language but it is not meant to offend anyone.

“Sexual assault will be discussed and could trigger some people so if anyone feels uncomfortable they can talk to any of the resources available and no one is forced to stay. There will be social interaction with the audience so it is important to participate only if you feel comfortable,” said Muhammad.

Once Ann and George got on stage the first question they asked the audience was “Has anyone had mixed signals about sex?” As people in the crowd raised their hands, Ann begins talking about sex education in public schools.

“What are some things were you guys taught in sex ed during high school?” said Ann.

“We learned about STDs, birth control, having babies and using protection,” said an audience member.

“Exactly, but we never talked about sexual relationships or situations leading to them so we are going to do an improv about things that they don’t teach in sex ed like relationships,” said George.

Throughout the night both Ann and George acted out three different scenes related to sex and consent where they asked students in the audience questions about the characters.

“What are some stereotypes about women when it comes to sex?” asked Ann.

“Well you’re a hoe if you have it and you’re a hoe if you don’t but if you get raped you’re then a stupid hoe,” said a student in the audience.
Both speakers then talked about how men can also be victims of sexual assault.

“Why is that men who have been sexually assaulted decide not to come out?” said George.

Members in the audience stated answers like society’s belief that men can’t be raped ,what it can do to a man’s self-esteem and the embarrassment.
“The problem with victim blaming when it comes to rape and sexual assault is that it can stop victims from coming out and it will allow more sexual offenders and rapist to continue what they are doing,” said George. “We are here to support anyone who has been a victim to this no matter what gender you are. When we support survivors, it brings justice and it allows other survivors to feel to comfortable to speak out as well,” said George.
The room then had a discussion of things that you can do if someone tells you that they have been sexually assaulted.

“Let that person feel safe, say you can talk to me and I can help you find the right resources available for you and remind them that it is not their fault,” said a student in the audience.

A panel was hosted by the Office of Global & Multicultural Education on Wednesday about international perspectives on gender and sexuality in Centennial where students talked about gender and sexuality across the world and how it is viewed differently around the globe. Students on the panel gave their own experiences on the topic as the audience engaged, learned and asked questions related to the topic once the panel was over. More events are happening towards the end of the week like the Drag Show which is open for the public.

“For OUTober, anyone can participate in our events regardless of sexual orientation, gender expression, or gender identity. We welcome all Bloomsburg University community members to join us in celebrating the lives of those within the LGBTQA+ community,” said Rodriguez.       “Our major event coming up is the Drag Show which is Thursday October 19th at 8:00pm, doors open at 7:00pm and admission is $1 for students, $2 for all others. This will serve as a fundraiser for Hurricane Harvey relief and all proceeds will benefit relief organizations. Our goal is to raise between $900-1000 for charity. Last year we had just hit over the $900 mark.”

Organizations like the BU Alliance and the LGBTQA+ community are working towards a goal after the celebrations are over and want students who are unfamiliar to have a better understanding of the process of coming out in today’s society and to see things from another person’s point of view in order to bring people closer together.

“Our goal is to help educate others on the coming out process and how it impacts our LGBTQA+ community and its allies as well. We want to bring everyone together, regardless of sexual orientation, gender expression, or gender identity. Our goal is to create unity.From attending these events, students ultimately get a chance to become more education on various LGBTQA+ topics and participate in conversations that help keep us moving forward in our progress towards total equality,” said Rodriguez. “Students can ask questions and find resources through our programming. It serves as a learning opportunity but also as a way for our students to bond and have fun.”

“Here at the University, we have taken it upon ourselves to celebrate all of October as National Coming Out Month with a slew of programs geared towards increasing knowledge, awareness, and visibility of the Queer community and the coming out process,” said Malik Muhammad.
“All of the events for OUTober is open to the campus community and beyond! With each event, you have the opportunity to learn from and engage with members of the LGBTQA community.”

A panel was hosted by the Office of Global & Multicultural Education about international perspectives on gender and sexuality where people talked about gender and sexuality across the world and students shared their experiences.