Running game explodes in football’s rout of Cheyney: Huskies score four rushing touchdowns, run for 277 yards total

On Saturday, the Bloomsburg University football team scored four rushing touchdowns and forced two turnovers that became touchdowns in their 48-19 win over Cheyney University at Danny Hale Field at Redman Stadium. The win gives Bloomsburg their third straight and improves their season record to 3-1. The Wolves, meanwhile, fall to 1-3.

This contest marked the first game against a Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) Eastern division opponent for both teams. This marked the 28th straight time the Huskies defeated the Wolves, and it improved Bloomsburg’s all-time record against Cheyney to 48-9-1.

The running game took off in Saturday, as the Huskies rushed for 277 total yards on 36 carries (7.7 yards-per-play). Four of Bloomsburg’s seven touchdowns came via run – two by redshirt sophomore Qmac Quiteh (108 yards), one by redshirt sophomore Alex Gooden (91 yards) and one by redshirt senior quarterback Chris Palubinsky. Redshirt sophomore Tre Green added 71 yards to Bloomsburg’s total. Gooden and Green’s rushing marks set new career highs for both players.

Bloomsburg scored multiple defensive touchdowns for the first time this season. In the first quarter, redshirt junior Marquis Seamon picked off Cheyney quarterback Dominick Trautz and ran it back 37 yards for a pick-six. The score, BU’s third touchdown of the day, marks Seamon’s first collegiate touchdown. Seamon was not the only Bloomsburg player no record their first collegiate touchdown on Saturday. Early in the fourth quarter, freshman linebacker Aaron Trumino recovered a fumble and ran it back 51 yards to the house. Redshirt junior pass rusher Chris Gary caused the fumble while sacking Trautz.

Bloomsburg’s other touchdown came on a six-yard touchdown pass from Palubinsky to Michael Allen in the second quarter.

The Huskies jumped out to a 20-0 edge before 2:30 remained in the first quarter. Bloomsburg got the ball first and put together a 12-play, 75-yard drive that ate up 7:03 of clock. The touchdown came on a four-yard touchdown run by Quiteh, who would score again a few minutes later on a 15-yard run. Just over a minute after Quiteh’s second score, Seamon’s pick-six occurred. The Huskies finished with 48 points on seven touchdowns, rather than 49, because redshirt junior Ryan Abbott’s extra point attempt sailed to the left following Seamon’s touchdown.

Down three scores, Cheyney drove down the field, aided by a 50-yard strike from Trautz to Nigel Wiley. With the ball at BU’s 8-yard line, the Wolves failed to score a touchdown, and instead attempted a 22-yard field goal. Current PSAC East Defensive Player of the Week, senior Eric Schwartz, had other plans. Schwartz blocked the attempt to keep the Wolves off the scoreboard, setting up the Huskies at their own 9-yard line.

Bloomsburg responded, driving down the field for 91 yards on 13 plays. The Huskies got their lone touchdown of the quarter on the Palubinbsky pass to Allen. That score gave the Huskies a 27-0 lead at the half, as neither team scored for the rest of the opening half. Bloomsburg dominated the opening 30 minutes, out-gaining Cheyney 245 yards to 87.

In the third quarter, two touchdowns were scored on one-yard runs. Needing a spark on offense, the Wolves responded with their first touchdown of the affair – a one-yard pound-it-in by Brandon French. The touchdown cut Bloomsburg’s lead to 20, and the Huskies would answer at the end of the quarter when Palubinsky reached the end zone on a one-yard run of his own.

In the fourth quarter, the teams combined for four touchdowns, two apiece. The Huskies struck less than a minute into the final stanza when Trumino scored on a fumble recovery. On Cheyney’s ensuing drive, the Wolves struck quickly on a five play, 51-yard drive that resulted in a 13-yard score from Trautz to Yvesiner Ferdinand. Kicker Alex Rummel’s two extra point attempts in the quarter were no good.

Less than three minutes after Ferdinand’s score, the Huskies racked up their last touchdown of the day on a three-yard run by Gooden, capping off an 81-yard drive that lasted five plays. Cheyney added six more points with 1:24 remaining in the game on a 9-yard run by Devin Miller, but of course not enough time remained to mount a comeback effort.

Bloomsburg finished with 427 yards of total offense, their highest mark this season. Palubinsky threw for 150 yards and a touchdown on 12 completions. Trautz went 20-for-33 for 269 yards, a touchdown, and an interception. Jay Popson led the receivers with 76 yards on four receptions. Allen caught four passes for 34 yards and a touchdown. On defense, freshman Kasean Patterson and Trumino led with six tackles (five solo for Patterson, four solo for Trumino). Gary registered five tackles (one solo) with four tackles-for-loss, and three sacks. That mark ties a career-high for Gary. Redshirt junior Scott Beltz and redshirt freshman Jelil Norman each sacked Trautz once. Sophomore Kieron Smethers punted twice for 103 yards, averaging 51.5 yards-per-punt.

The BU football team will hit the road this week to face Millersville (1-3) at 1:00 pm on Saturday, Sept. 30. The Huskies have won 17 straight contests against the Marauders.