Men’s Soccer falls to Gannon on Wednesday; Huskies fall behind early, drop to 3-5 in 2019

Matthew Rushforth, Sports Editor

The Bloomsburg University men’s soccer team dropped its second consecutive match on Wednesday afternoon when it dropped a 3-1 deficit to Gannon University. With the win, the Golden Knights extended their winning streak to six games and improved to 6-0 on the 2019 season. The loss drops the Huskies drops overall record to 2-5 (2-2 PSAC).

All three Gannon goals were scored by Alex Lee Yaw in the opening half as the hat-trick gives Yaw a team-leading four goals on the season.

Gannon wasted no time getting started, notching the first goal of the match in just the second minute into regulation when Yaw scored on a free kick from 17 yards out. Yaw then struck again just ten minutes later to extend the lead to 2-0.

The third goal from Yaw came just minutes before the half to give the Golden Knights a 3-0 lead heading into the half.

The Huskies lone goal was the first of his collegiate career as freshman defenseman Stephen Hollis tallied the only BU goal of the match in the 61st minute. 

The Huskies did manage to outshoot the Golden Knights in the match by a total of 14-13. On the other hand, Gannon held a 5-0 advantage in corner kicks which proved to be the key factor in the sixth consecutive win for GU.

Bloomsburg junior goaltender Brock Gould pushed aside four Gannon shots in the loss.

The Huskies travel to the University of the District of Columbia in Washington D.C. this coming Saturday, October 5. Start time is set for 2 p.m.