National Girls and Women in Sports Day

Sarah Erie, Staff Writer

On Saturday, Jan. 25, Bloomsburg University hosted a wide array of sporting events in honor of National Girls and Women in Sports Day. 

The events themselves were held in the Nelson Field House, where boys and girls from kindergarten through eighth grade could participate at the different stations. Starting at 10 a.m., there was a free basketball clinic where kids played games such as dribble tag and box out. This was followed by a speed and agility clinic at 10:30 a.m., where children participated in relay races. The day proceeded with the basketball team introducing themselves and getting to know the kids.

“This clinic allows our students and student-athletes a chance to expose children in the community to the sports that they love and introduce them to activities that they can use to remain active throughout their lives,” said Dr. Kelly Dauber, a faculty member from Bloomsburg University’s Exercise Science Department.

The event is designed to recognize women in sports by involving the community in a day of different athletic events. In addition to the basketball team, members of Bloomsburg University’s other athletic programs, such as women’s tennis, held an activities fair for the young participants.

Junior Isabella Sarquis, a member of women’s tennis, said, “My teammates and I played tennis with the kids. It was fun and I think the events are a great way to connect with the community.” 

The day finished off with a women’s basketball game of Bloomsburg University vs. West Chester University and a post-game autograph session, allowing kids to get signatures from their favorite players. Although West Chester took home the win, the events were a big hit with all of the participants and volunteers involved. 

“Our class is thankful for the outreach opportunity and the kids seem to have a great time as well, so it really is a win-win situation, in my opinion,” said Dr. Dauber.