Mauras breaks 1k in win over Mansfield

Matt Rushforth, Sports Editor

The Bloomsburg University men’s basketball team got themselves back into the win column on Wednesday night as the Huskies defeated Pennsylvania State Athletic Conference (PSAC) eastern division opponent Mansfield University by a final score of 82-55.

With the win, the Huskies improve to 9-15 (6-12 PSAC) while the Mountaineers dropped to 6-17 (5-13 PSAC) with the loss.

In the win, senior guard Ky Mauras finished with 14 total points and surpassed the 1,000 point milestone in his career at Bloomsburg. Mauras is the 31st men’s basketball player in the program’s history to break the milestone.

The Huskies were led by freshman sensation Justin Anderson who totaled 26 points and four assists in the victory. Mauras and senior Sam Saxton followed Anderson with 14 points each of their own.

Bloomsburg came out on top of nearly every statistical category on Wednesday night, outrebounding Mansfield by a 51-39 margin while also outshooting the Mountaineers from the field.

The Huskies will now look ahead to the final four regular season games left on the 2019-20 slate, all of them being against PSAC opponents.

With the win last night, Bloomsburg currently sits at eighth in the PSAC East standings, ahead of only Mansfield.

The top six teams from both the eastern and the western divisions will head to the conference tournament prior to the end of the regular season. 

Shippensburg (19-4, 15-2 PSAC) remains the only school from the eastern side to have clinched a PSAC tournament berth at this point.

The Huskies will need to finish the season off strong with games against rivals West Chester, Lock Haven, Shippensburg and Kutztown to close out the calendar year.

Bloomsburg will hit the road this Saturday when they travel to West Chester University before hitting the road again to Lock Haven University on Wednesday.

The Huskies will then return home to face the first place Red Raiders of Shippensburg on Feb. 22 before hosting Kutztown for senior day and the final game of the season on Feb. 26.

With some help from the other teams around the PSAC, the Huskies still remain hopeful that there is a chance of a PSAC tournament berth following some good play of their own in these last four contests.

BU tips off at rival West Chester this Saturday, Feb. 15 at 4:00 p.m.