Determined To Get Huskies Back On The Map

Marlon Westcott poses for his photo on media day. Photo via Athletic Marketing and Communications.

Bloomsburg Jr. offensive lineman  Marlon Westcott  who stands at 6’2 315 pounds first got into football in the fourth grade.

Due to his large stature ,he had to play with the older kids instead of the kids his own age. Westcott took a break from football early on because of this.

In sixth grade, Westcott gave football another shot as the Southwest Seminoles came to his school looking for players. 

Westcott took advantage of that opportunity. Which led him to more opportunities. 

He was a starter at Philadelphia powerhouse Imhotep Institute Charter, where he won a state championship. Coming out of high school Westcott had numerous offers. Some from Division I programs and also Division II programs. He ultimately decided to continue his academic and athletic careers as a Husky.

“Bloomsburg has a long line of NFL lineman. They produce good linemen so I chose Bloomsburg as my choice,” said Westcott. 

Westcott has been a quality starter for the Huskies offensive line the past few years. He’s more than ready for this upcoming season. 

“My mindset is to take over the PSAC trying to get down how Bloomsburg used to be a dominant program,” said Westcott. In 2014 the Huskies dominated the PSAC going 11-2 overall and 9-0 in conference.

It’s expected to be a big year for Westcott. This summer he got right to it.

“I worked on speed and power – being more powerful off the line of scrimmage creating holes and running lanes for the running backs,” Westcott said. 

“He’s a hard worker, coachable, has stepped up his play since I arrived in March working on fixing his techniques on a daily basis,” said Bloomsburg offensive line coach Chris Sprague when asked about Westcott.

“He has taken the lead in learning more about each play, who is getting the ball, how his job fits with other’s up front,” Sprague added. 

So what can we expect from Westcott this year? 

“You can expect a great year. I’m trying to do my best. I’m trying to go All American this year and get Bloomsburg back on the map,” said Westcott. 

In order to reach that All American status, the job is real simple for Westcott to dominate his opponent and create lanes for his running backs, he said. 

This is a much improved Huskies team coming into this year. It will all be led by Westcott and the big guys up front. 

“A couple guys are older, everyone bought into the system the coaches are putting in, everyone believes we can be great,” he added. 

Westcott and the Huskies kick off their season Aug. 31st as they travel to Fairmont State.