The Horny Husky: Being safe is sexy, too

If you decide to be sexually active, you must consider all the consequences that may come with it; emotionally and physically.  It is the end of the semester where all of us students are excited to be done with classes and start our summer. Summer days tend to be best of times. Some may also find themselves being involved in a “summer fling”, being in a relationship or remaining single. Either way, you know you will enjoy your summer. For those who will be starting up flings and being in relationships, it is important to remain safe during sex and all types of sex.

There are numerous amounts of contraceptives one can use to prevent not only the risk of producing a child but also the dangers of transferring diseases. Your main job in sex is to protect yourself and your partner. This goes for all types of sex: vaginal, anal, and oral. For each of these types of sexual activity, there can be different measures you can take for being safe. For each gender there are different types of contraceptives.

For females, the options are IUD’s, female condoms, diaphragms, birth control in the forms of pill, sponges, shots, rings, patches, implants and cervical caps. Some of these are more invasive than others. Each of these types of birth controls may affect your body in different ways. One person’s body is not the same as another. It is important to speak to your doctor to see what is right for you. For males, there are the most common condom and new birth controls. However, those are still being researched. Males also have to be cautious of allergies. Meaning, you may be allergic to latex or the material the condom is made of. If this is the case, you can easily find others that suits you. Lambskin is one alternative to latex that many use. It is also found to feel better than regular condoms because of how thin they are. They also have the same protection rates as regular latex condoms.

Some kinds of sex can be riskier than others. Meaning kissing and grabbing on your partner genitals is a lower risk to catch an STD than having sex or giving oral without a condom. Oral sex may seem like an alternative to other types, but there is still a high chance of you catching certain sexually transmitted diseases. The way to prevent this is to use condoms. Something people also tend to forget is that just because you used a condom during anal sex does not mean you can use it in vaginal sex. This is a big no no. There are so many different reasons why not changing your condom can be detrimental. It is recommended to use condoms for over the penis, dental dams over the entrance to the vulva and the anus.

If the thought of the serious consequences that may come with sex is too much for you, then you can withdraw or become abstinent. I am trying to scare into not having sex. I encourage all to do what makes them feel comfortable and what is right for their body. Safe sex is just a responsibility we must take on with decisions we make. I hope you all are not becoming too stressed with finals and assignments for the end of the semester. Until we meet again in the Fall semester, keep having fun and be safe.