University Democrats get out the vote

The University Democrats commemorated Constitution Day on campus with a voting registration event open for all BU students. From 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Student Services Center, students were able register to vote or change their registration if needed to enable them to vote locally.

Taylor Baker, president of the University Democrats, was pleased by the good turnout of the event and noted that there would be even more opportunities for students to register before the Oct. 9 deadline.  

Constitution Day is celebrated annually on Sept. 17, as this day marks the anniversary of the signing of the Constitution in 1787.

In addition to being able to register to vote, students had the opportunity to pick up their own free copy of the Constitution (along with the Declaration of Independence) in a book that contained information about both documents.

The upcoming general election taking place on Nov. 6 will decide PA’s Governor, one of two Pa U.S. Senators, and the local U.S. Representative in Congress.

Running for Governor is Republican Senator Scott Wagner, who has represented Harrisburg since 2014, and Tom Wolf, who is hoping to be elected for his second term. Republican Lou Barletta, representative for PA’s eleventh District, is running against Democratic Senator Bob Casey. Running to take Barletta’s spot as representative for Pa’s 11th Congressional District is Republican Lloyd Smucker, who currently represents Pa’s 16th district, and Democrat Jess King, who ran unopposed in the primaries.

For BU students who would still like to register but were unable to make this event, there will be many more opportunities leading up to the general election. On Sept. 25, locations will be set up in front of the SSC and inside the Scranton Commons from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., in the lobby of Monty’s from 4 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., and in the lobby of Bakeless Center throughout most of the day; the Bakeless location will also be available on Sept. 26.
 On Sept. 27, there will be a location in front of the SSC

from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., and on Oct. 3 there will be locations in front of the SSC and inside Scranton Commons from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., and in the lobby of Monty’s from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Students who wish to register must bring either their PA driver’s license or ID card. Students who live in another state may also use the last four digits of their social security number.