Financial aid busy season leads to lines out the door

Associate Director of Financial Aid, Marla Kane. Photo by Rebecca Sokolowski.

Lines could be seen daily coming from the Financial Aid office in Arts & Administration building the first week of classes. Students waited for their questions to be answered about misplaced or missing funds as well as general confusion about the changes made to Free Application For Student Aid (FAFSA). 

At first glance, these lines could seem like a bad sign that the Financial Aid office is having trouble handling students’ needs, but Associate Director of Financial Aid, Marla Kane, sees these lines as only a positive.

“The last thing we want students to do is be sitting in their dorms or their apartments wondering what it is they need to do,” said Kane.

Missing funds frighten students when they believe they have completed all of the steps to accept their aid, but the complex and changing FAFSA system can make it more challenging than it should be. Kane explains how reminder emails warning students of incomplete steps can be lost in inboxes at the start of a semester.

“We always say you want to start early, you want to check your email, take action, and come see us. If you’re not sure, come see us.”

The FAFSA Simplification Act has implemented many changes from students needing to invite parents into the form, to Expected Family Contribution (EFC) changing to Student Aid Index (SAI). The completely new system started Dec. 31, 2023 and left families in a lurch not knowing how to properly accept aid.

FAFSA completion sessions run by the Financial Aid office will offer personalized help to students that attend. Sessions will be held 2-4 pm in Bakeless 205 on Feb. 9, 13th and 20th and March 1, 5th, 22nd and 25th.