Does Commonwealth University have a racism issue?

A recent report from Senator Art Haywood showed that 14 different Pennsylvania universities were experiencing varying forms of racism from staff and other students. On the Mansfield campus, an email from Bashar Hanna described a Neo-nazi group protesting on campus and in town last fall. This email led students on campus to be concerned about whether or not Bloomsburg would be affected by this, due to the merge. It also left students to be concerned about how the school would handle this issue and whether they would feel safe on campus. This report got so much attention that it was even featured in The Philadelphia Inquirer.   

WHO IS SENATOR ART HAYWOOD & WHAT IS THE ENOUGH TOUR? 

Senator Art Haywood represents the fourth district in the PA state senate. Haywood has conducted the ENOUGH tour to Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education (PASSHE) schools to advocate for black student voices. This tour was meant to get feedback on PASSHE policy changes. There are six main goals of the tour, to end racial harassment and speech, nurture and retain students of color, organize an incident reporting system, unveil mandatory diversity training, generate mental health resources, and hire faculty and staff of color.

A Bloomsburg University alumni stated, “The meeting was very insightful and impactful. There were a lot of student voices. I would say that things have stagnated since we’ve met. I would like to see more support for the offices that support organizations for Students of Color.”  

EXPERIENCES STUDENTS OF COLOR HAVE FACED ON CAMPUS 

This tour also highlighted many everyday issues that students of color have experienced all over the 14 different campuses.

One student stated, “I am the only Black student in many of my classes. I’m looked to in class as if I’m supposed to be the spokesperson for all Black people.”

Many other students of color also recalled that they tended to be treated differently than white students in a class with a white professor. Part of the six goals was to hire more staff and faculty of color.

The report also stated, “When asked if they witnessed many microaggressions in class, students reported that in classes with professors of color, microaggressions are rare.”

Including more diversity within the campuses can enhance and make a better environment for students.  

WHAT CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE SINCE THE REPORT? 

Since this report has come out, Mansfield has hired a new full-time diversity, equality, and inclusion (DEI) officer, Albert Jones. The University was also offered $91,000 for DEI programming and initiatives to create a more welcoming environment on campus. There was also a new DEI education training sessions across all Commonwealth University campuses. The end goal is to make Commonwealth University, on all campuses, feel safe and welcome, while providing resources to enhance the experience for students of color.  

Mansfield, a branch of Commonwealth University, was identified as one of 14 PA universities experiencing racism on campus. Photo by Bri Raymond.